Skip to main content

Seasons

The curious thing about seasons here is that they have them.

I keep expecting the hours of daylight to change one of these days, which of course, doesn’t happen, though there is a slight shift—during winter, oddly enough—towards later sunsets, but it’s merely a matter of half an hour’s difference. That supports the “no seasons” hypothesis.

Part of me every so often thinks there will be a drastic change of temperature to mark another season, but fond as I am of the 4 distinct seasons in Manitoba with all their extremes, I am, for the most part, quite content with the unremitting warm weather, though I don’t know how many years of it I could take before I had a strong hankering for some good old winter. Those four seasons, however, have skewed my expectations.

Looking for more subtle nuances instead, I observe seasons indeed, subtle though they may be. The hot, humid, rain-less days of dry season are quite distinct from the grey monotony of rainy season and both differ from the mixed bag of weather that transitioned between the two.

Not only the weather has changed, but the activity of the village also.

Dry season is lively time of people coming and going: it is less often the 4X4s of rainy season’s cocoa shippers, and more often taxis (decrepit Toyotas held together by prayer and strength of will) and a seemingly ever-increasing stream of okadas (motorbikes). The roads are far more passable, yes, but I still marvel at the thought of a car making it all the way out here. The other day I saw a poor little car whose trunk was so overflowingly loaded with huge pieces of a tree trunk that it required 2 or 3 kids hanging off the back to make sure none of the wood fell off.

Dry season is a time for events and meetings. Bamboo-pole wall/palm-leaf roof shelters pop up everywhere to house age group association meetings, dances, dinyangis, funerals, church conferences, cultural association meetings. After the event is finished, they remain in place, the leaves slowly drying and turning more brown, until some three months after the event, the tent is torn down and burnt.

Along with those events, dry season is a time for music and television. The humm of a generator is often heard to power blasting stereos for either dance or church music, and a flock of bamboo poles supporting TV and cell phone antennae stand sentinel over many houses to pipe in football [soccer] games or connect to the unsteady signal for phone access.

And the bugs are back. I suffered from the moot moots my first months in the village, then miraculously the itches went away, so I held out hopes I’d finally gotten used to it. No such luck. Suddenly, I find myself being munched on again; not moot moots per se—I couldn’t say what it is, possibly the mosquitoes that are so feared for their malaria-carrying properties—but the conclusion is unavoidable that biting insects have made a re-appearance in Big Bekondo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

The anti-bike blog

OR I do not think [that word] means what you think it means It has become a weekly, almost daily occurrence. A how-to article or blog post will come across my path – usually in my facebook feed – touting the wonders of winter cycling. Not one to learn a lesson quickly, I keep clicking on them. Inevitably, I navigate away in frustration. It’s fun! It’s easy! Anyone can do it! You don’t need special gear; you can even look chic while you’re doing it. Oh, and get off your high horse – being a winter cyclist doesn’t make you special. This is the message of all these articles. Lies, I tell you. Now, far be it from me to dissuade people from cycling, but I think we may need different words for the varying circumstances that fall under the umbrella term “winter cycling.” Take Vancouver and Seattle, for example, where bicycle enthusiasts will talk about “winter” cycling. I’ll grant you that a bone-chilling, relentless, drenching rain is its own special brand of miserable to bi...