Skip to main content

Update

The president made a less than conciliatory speech last night, basically blaming the unrest on the opposition parties, accusing them of inciting dissent. Today, February 28, 2008, the army was sent in to Bamenda, which ups the ante somewhat. The local police are less excited about actually shooting at or harming their neighbours, but soldiers from other parts of the country will likely be less sympathetic.

The morning was more active; the army trucks drove right past the compound entrance (which is on a major road), tear gas/concussion bombs were going off in fairly close succession for a while (though there was little gunfire), and right around noon there were some confrontations down the hill--young men being chased by the police ran down the road just over the hedge by the lower edge of the compound.

Yesterday, one person was snapping pictures of some of the events with a zoom lens when the gendarmes passed by. They confiscated his camera and examined the cell phones of other lookers-on to see if they’d taken photos. Also yesterday, we heard they raided the Brasseries (alcohol and soft-drinks bottling plant) where rumour has it the owner said “help yourself, just don’t harm the equipment.” With a smirk on his face and tongue firmly planted in cheek, one of the men said “the police beckoned the looters to come and threw tear gas in the opposite direction.”

At 3 o’clock most of the crowds have dissipated, the tire fires appear quenched, and all is quiet; no tear gas or gunfire heard for a few hours, but reports from Mile 2 across town say police are firing on people and one person has been killed.

It’s surreal to be going around our normal business on the compound here, reminded periodically of the strife by the sound of explosions and gunfire. One lady commented how disturbing it is for these sounds to become normal, but for me, while I’m not freaking out about them, they still cause me to jump every time and a small knot to form in the pit of my stomach.

Pray for a swift and peaceful resolution of this conflict. The problems that exist are not likely to be solved by riots and protests.

******************************************************
international news is reporting on events here on the Africa page of BBC News, but as rumours are rife, I cannot vouch for their accuracy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Community, continued

I had some more thoughts on community last night but it was getting kind of long, so I saved them for today! (In other news, for those of you less interested in my ramblings -- I got some of my shots today and now my arm is irritatingly sore from, hmmm, I think it's the Typhoid.) There's lots of talk these days about the importance of family. Conservative Christians in particular get really caught up in family -- family values, family friendly, family time -- are buzzwords you hear bandied about. Yes, family is important, and God does delight in family, but not for family's sake, but as a model of community. Unconditional love and acceptance. Time. Support, both emotional and material. Accountability. These are qualities we associate with "good" families. They are the qualities which make good community. I believe this is what God calls us to be; this is why He put us in families, and why we are taught to place value on families -- because they are a metaphor for...