Skip to main content

Congregational prayer

 A slight departure from my usual letters...

Here's a prayer I wrote for worship leading at church this past Sunday (Jan 25). The Scripture passage for the sermon was John 3:1-21, so I drew on some of the images from there. 

The final paragraph is adapted from an assurance written by Rev. Dr. Ginny Brown Daniel, in So Loved: Service Prayers for the Fourth Sunday of Lent (posted on the Worship Ways page of the United Church of Christ website). 


“Light has come into the world”

Light has made its home among us as self-giving love.

 “But people loved darkness instead of light... for fear that their deeds will be exposed.”

There are so many places we long to see the light of truth expose evil deeds: 

  • the genocide in Gaza; 
  • the war in Ukraine; 
  • the conflicts in Sudan, Yemen, DR Congo, Myanmar and the Tigray region of Ethiopia; 
  • political and economic instability in many countries across Latin America; 
  • the lawlessness of law enforcement in the USA and their threats to Venezuela, Greenland and even Canada; 
  • Canadian-owned mining companies around the world; 
  • fossil fuel extraction companies and other capitalist, exploitative, war-mongering executive decision-making tables; 
  • polite government processes that disenfranchise, blame and oppress both newcomers and Indigenous people in Canada.

Lord, have mercy.

We perhaps less readily confess we need your light of truth to shine into our own thoughts, words and deeds,

to convict of the evil things we have done and the good we have left undone. For our failure of courage to love with our whole hearts.

Lord, have mercy.

Forgive us. Shine your light into the dark places.

The image of God resides deep within each of us – even the doers of evil. May the Spirit empower us to live by the truth, so the light within us would manifest as light without. May we recognize and draw out that light in others, returning God’s blessing by the way we love.

Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Deep breaths, just relax

I am immensely relieved to have my visa application in the mail...except I won't be free of trepidation until I have my passport back, visa approved. Sending my visa makes me realize it's actually going to happen -- sooner rather than later. Just one more day of work at the newspaper, 2 1/2 more shifts at the bookstore. Training the new guy today went well for me; I hope it went well for him as well! Thankfully, I have news that I will not be wandering around Douala by myself upon my arrival in Cameroon. (Okay, not that that was going to be the case, but it sounds more dramatic.) The original plan was that I'd meet Dan and Lisa at Charles de Gaulle and continue with them from there in on. Just the way I like it -- being "adventurous" within the safe parameters of responsible and experienced oversight. However, the U.S. government got in the way of those plans with delay after delay with Joshua's paperwork. To say I was worried about arriving in Douala all alo...