Skip to main content

Renewable Energy, Not More Fossil Gas Power

This just makes no sense, folks.

That's one thing I added to the Climate Action Team's letter to the Manitoba government. 

According to a friend's back of the envelop math -- so of course it's possible something is missing/miscalculated/misunderstood -- for only about $1 billion, the government could subsidize insulating homes to a degree that would reduce energy demand to the degree this plans to scale it up.

Add to that the fact that clean energy's star is rising as fast as fossil fuel's is tanking (Check out Max Fawcett's piece in Canada's National Observer), and it's impossible not to conclude the decision makers are either intentionally idiotic and ill-informed or maliciously pursuing interests that have to do with enormous short term financial gain and zero benefit to the general population. 

So, take a look at this letter and please send a version of it yourself. 

Thanks, Climate Action Team Manitoba! 

I am writing today to voice my strong concern regarding your government’s decision to build a new $3 billion fossil gas-fired power plant.

$3 billion? For fossil fuels?? And nothing at all for solar, wind, district heat, heat pumps, etc.?

It's ludicrous: building new fossil fuel infrastructure that will fuel the climate crisis and keep us reliant on imported fossil gas from Alberta for decades to come is unacceptable.

I strongly urge you to reconsider and instead invest in reliable renewable sources of electricity. Besides causing less damage to the world we live in, besides often being less expensive in the long run, they also contribute to energy sovereignty at a moment when that probably matters more than we think.

My main concerns with a new gas-fired power plant are: 

  • It expands fossil fuel use during an era of climate emergency. After a summer of devastating wildfires, it is clearer now than ever that we are in a climate crisis, and we need to get off fossil fuels as quickly as possible. Manitobans like myself want a government that takes climate action seriously, and this project contradicts the rhetoric your government gives re climate solutions and moves us in the wrong direction.
  • It is a waste of public money and worsens affordability. We entrust the government to use public funds wisely, and spending $3 billion on a new fossil gas plant, that is only supposed to turn on for a few days per year, does exactly the opposite. With creative thinking and planning ahead, there are so many other ways we could address this problem, starting with a massive push to superinsulate homes. 

Manitoba should be investing to capitalize on its solar and wind resources, paired with battery storage and energy efficiency programs. These solutions are proven, reliable, and have seen dramatic cost reductions in recent years. They are being scaled up in countries around the world, and it's time for Manitoba to get on board. 

Invest in renewables, energy storage, and electricity-demand reductions, instead of new fossil fuel power. Our air, water, communities, and future generations are worth protecting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

The anti-bike blog

OR I do not think [that word] means what you think it means It has become a weekly, almost daily occurrence. A how-to article or blog post will come across my path – usually in my facebook feed – touting the wonders of winter cycling. Not one to learn a lesson quickly, I keep clicking on them. Inevitably, I navigate away in frustration. It’s fun! It’s easy! Anyone can do it! You don’t need special gear; you can even look chic while you’re doing it. Oh, and get off your high horse – being a winter cyclist doesn’t make you special. This is the message of all these articles. Lies, I tell you. Now, far be it from me to dissuade people from cycling, but I think we may need different words for the varying circumstances that fall under the umbrella term “winter cycling.” Take Vancouver and Seattle, for example, where bicycle enthusiasts will talk about “winter” cycling. I’ll grant you that a bone-chilling, relentless, drenching rain is its own special brand of miserable to bi...