Skip to main content

Investment in Elbit Systems

screenshot of website with three young people's photos

The repression of pro-Palestinian protestors is shocking. The British government is allowing prisoners on hunger strikes to die, simply for asking for their rights as prisoners (e.g., a fair trial). Their crime: protesting an arms manufacturer. 

This arms manufacturer, Elbit Systems, get plenty of money from Canada as well. 

So, it's time for a letter! Here's my edits to Just Peace Advocates' letter for Canadian banks and pension plans.


I am writing today in horror over your institution’s investment in Elbit Systems. 

Elbit Systems is an Israeli weapons manufacturer. 

Israel is verifiably committing genocide. 

According to international law, any state or financial entities aiding and abetting a state committing genocide is complicit. 

Stop it. 

Elbit provides ground equipment and unmanned aerial vehicles for the Israeli military. It also produces tank shells, rockets, drones, electronic warfare systems, and observation / information processing systems. They also are the leading developer and supplier of systems for armoured combat vehicles. This is just a short list, there are countless types of weapons and technology that Elbit Systems provides to the Israeli military, specifically for its use in the bombardment of Gaza. Elbit has also provided technology to enforce the illegal 20 year blockade and siege of the Gaza Strip. 

Despite all of that, your institution continues to invest in Elbit Systems. 

For shame! 

In other words, your company is financing the death of Palestinians. This is not hyperbole. 

Shame on you!

Corporations can be held accountable under domestic and international law for enabling genocide and war crimes. There are plenty of Canadians watching this who will be only to eager to make sure you face legal and financial ramifications for your actions. To avoid facing criminal and/or civil prosecution, it is imperative that your company end all investments in Elbit Systems (and other complicit companies). 

History will not look fondly on those who financed genocide. You still have the chance to make a change. It will not bring back the lives of those already murdered, but it will help prevent more lives from being stolen. 

I demand you end investments in Elbit Systems today!


You can also send a letter to Canada Procurement

And here's Prisoners for Palestine's letter for British decision makers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Community, continued

I had some more thoughts on community last night but it was getting kind of long, so I saved them for today! (In other news, for those of you less interested in my ramblings -- I got some of my shots today and now my arm is irritatingly sore from, hmmm, I think it's the Typhoid.) There's lots of talk these days about the importance of family. Conservative Christians in particular get really caught up in family -- family values, family friendly, family time -- are buzzwords you hear bandied about. Yes, family is important, and God does delight in family, but not for family's sake, but as a model of community. Unconditional love and acceptance. Time. Support, both emotional and material. Accountability. These are qualities we associate with "good" families. They are the qualities which make good community. I believe this is what God calls us to be; this is why He put us in families, and why we are taught to place value on families -- because they are a metaphor for...