Skip to main content

Communication

For someone who felt panicky if separated from her cell phone for any length of time back in Canada, I'm remarkably unconcerned about being almost completely incommunicado here in the village.

There are no landlines reaching this far, and even cellphones-of which Africans are as fond as North Americans-are useless in Bekondo because the signal isn't strong enough to make or receive calls from the village. It's the girls who have often complained of the lack of phones: "If only we could just call people, we wouldn't have to walk all the way over there for nothing!" I figured that was just par for the course in village life.

What I find interesting is the isolation from the outside world. We do have a radio linking us to other World Team missionaries and through which we send and receive email, but that only puts us in touch with select people-and only if they sign on. So, when Mike goes to town to pick up supplies or attend a meeting, he has no way of letting Becky know he's not coming home because things took longer than he expected or because it's raining and he fears the roads will be impassable. We're currently awaiting Friesens' return; we expect them Wednesday,...or Thursday.or Friday.. Without a means of communicating with them (our email capabilities have a one-day delay on sending and receiving), all we can do is wonder and wait.

Footnote: before I managed to send off this entry, Friesens arrived safely on Thursday. We even received an email from them saying they'd missed their connection in Paris. I believe I won the pool for closest guess on their ETA in the village.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

The anti-bike blog

OR I do not think [that word] means what you think it means It has become a weekly, almost daily occurrence. A how-to article or blog post will come across my path – usually in my facebook feed – touting the wonders of winter cycling. Not one to learn a lesson quickly, I keep clicking on them. Inevitably, I navigate away in frustration. It’s fun! It’s easy! Anyone can do it! You don’t need special gear; you can even look chic while you’re doing it. Oh, and get off your high horse – being a winter cyclist doesn’t make you special. This is the message of all these articles. Lies, I tell you. Now, far be it from me to dissuade people from cycling, but I think we may need different words for the varying circumstances that fall under the umbrella term “winter cycling.” Take Vancouver and Seattle, for example, where bicycle enthusiasts will talk about “winter” cycling. I’ll grant you that a bone-chilling, relentless, drenching rain is its own special brand of miserable to bi...