Skip to main content

Weekend in Kumba

I just spent a wonderful weekend in Kumba!

When Becky first proposed my going to town for the weekend to visit Kara while Mike did a supply run and went to a meeting I didn't jump at the chance. I felt shy about imposing on this missionary girl I'd met briefly but not really talked to. Intimidating me further, to make the arrangements, I had to invite myself over.

But in the end, it was a great way to mark my anniversary of one month in the village: by getting OUT of the village. It was also great to hang around with a North American of my peer group for the first time in almost two months. And, life at the Lutheran compound is the lap of luxury.

It's the little things that make the difference. With the disclaimer that we really want for nothing in the village (as far as necessities go), and that we live like kings compared to the rest of the village, nevertheless, my stay in Kumba was remarkable for the many little luxuries I enjoyed there. Electricity whose use is not strictly monitored, climate control in the form of ceiling fans and an air conditioned computer room, a greater variety of food available at the market down the street, paved or at least gravelled roads, even soft toilet paper-these are things one can easily live without, but are so very appreciated when one has.

Comments

Unknown said…
It sounds like such a rich time you're having. Winnipeg must seem like a whole world away (I guess in some sense it is). It's great to hear how things are going for you. Take care, and God bless your time there.

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Flights

I've got tickets! In faith that all the money will come together, my tickets have been purchased. So now I have to go! There was a significantly cheaper flight option with Air Maroc that involved an overnight in Paris and in Casablanca, but I opted for the same Air France flight from Paris to Douala that Dan and Lisa will be on. Frankly, I'm somewhat relieved the latter option was available. Obviously, I must have some sense of adventure to be willing to spend 10 months in Cameroon--and I do--but it's not quite up to the former challenge just yet. I'll likely be quite wound up as it is--the last thing I'll need in my state of excitement and fretful anticipation is to spend three days alone trying to reach my destination, getting no sleep, dealing with unfamiliar languages, and arriving alone to spend a half-day cartrip down roads in less than perfect condition with a local stranger. Now I'm not saying I'm unwilling to be challenged or that any one of these ...