Skip to main content

Peace and unity football

Today I went to the "Nekongoh Peace and Unity Football Tournament, 1st edition" at the soccer pitch of the Big Bekondo secondary school. Becky and I left the house midafternoon for the 3 km walk to the grounds. When we arrived, the dancers were just beginning.

A group of ladies in (mostly) matching skirts were shuffling rhythmically along, bent at the waist, posteriors protruding, shoulders shaking to the sound of drums, a whistle, a handbell, and of course, their own sing-song chant. They worked their way into the grounds from the fence outside, right into the soccer pitch, stopping in front of the small shelter set up for dignitaries. This went on for about half an hour, I believe.

Next was a short dance/skit exhibition from a troupe from Kumba called "Spako and ? (didn't catch the name)." This consisted of 3 men, 2 oddly-dressed, both featuring undergarments; and one with a fake beard, costumed as a portly police officer, with the letters OPP on his hat. I don't know what that stands for, but my instinctive thought "Ontario Provincial Police" is probably NOT it. They cavorted about displaying a fair degree of athleticism but were too bizarre and sexually suggestive for my enjoyment.

The program officially began (around 4:00 perhaps; whatever the case, certainly not the 12:00 noon listed as the start time on the program schedule of the person next to me) with speeches from the chairman of the council; the spiritual advisor, a Presbyterian seminary student and one of Mike & Becky's translators, Joe, who had invited us to the event; the president of the organizing committee, a well-spoken young man in his 20s or 30s in gleaming white cotton; and the delegate for the ministry of sport from Kumba. Some highlights of the speeches were the spiritual advisor exhorting the participants to prepare themselves to accept defeat gracefully; and the young president who waxed eloquently about how the event will promote unity. 1-2-3 was his thesis. One represents unity; it's also the 1st "edition" of the tournament. Two represents unity because the Bible says a man will leave his family and cleave to his wife, thus the 2 of the September 2 game represents unity. Finally, 3, of the first game held July 3rd is the Trinity, which, of course, signifies unity. I thought points 2 and 3 were stretching it quite a bit but he certainly gets points for imagination.

I watched all of this from the dignitaries' shelter. I felt very conspicuous there, in the second row, with a bunch of African men, apparently leaders in the community. It doesn't seem fair that simply by virtue of being a white person I get invited to the place of honour. Then, it got worse. To start the game, they called all the dignitaries to trek out to centre field where the delegate from the ministry of sport made the honorary kick-off. As they stand up, Joe turns around and motions to me to come with them. AH! I hate being so conspicuous, especially when I feel completely culturally incompetent while intensely aware of my actions reflecting not only on me, but on all white people.

Nothing more was asked of me, however, so surviving the shock of the summons, I returned to my seat with a sigh of relief to watch the game. The long-grassed unkempt and uneven field was lined with a clothesline-sized rope to keep the spectators back. All of the pre-game events happened right in front of the shelter and even though the speeches were miked, I got the impression that the majority of the villagers gathered saw and heard little of it. Well, they were probably just there for the social event and the game anyway, so let the game begin!

The Mbulla Strikers were dressed in bright yellow.at least the first string players were. I guess there weren't enough uniforms to go around because the second string was dressed in white and blue stripes. The Mbanda F.C.'s first string had very professional looking navy blue uniforms but I believe their second string was also clad differently, however I didn't get as good a look at them.

The first goal which was scored - a penalty shot - brought a bunch of the women dancers on the field, yelling, whistling and ringing the handbell. I'm assuming this is general practice but we didn't stay to the end of the first period, so I can't say for certain. Initially, the mood in the dignitaries shelter was sedate, but as the game warmed up some passionate fans revealed themselves. The masses around the edges of the field were very interested in the action.

Six-year-old Kenneth was tired and couldn't see the action so well from his mother's lap in the third row of the shelter, so we headed home part-way into the first period. On our way back through the village everyone we met on the road asked "Are you come from the game?" (in Oroko) to which Becky was compelled to return, "Yes; are you going?" though both questions were fairly obvious. Ah well, the lesson for ridiculous tongue-tied Karla is that the perfectly obvious will suffice if you need to make conversation with strangers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

The anti-bike blog

OR I do not think [that word] means what you think it means It has become a weekly, almost daily occurrence. A how-to article or blog post will come across my path – usually in my facebook feed – touting the wonders of winter cycling. Not one to learn a lesson quickly, I keep clicking on them. Inevitably, I navigate away in frustration. It’s fun! It’s easy! Anyone can do it! You don’t need special gear; you can even look chic while you’re doing it. Oh, and get off your high horse – being a winter cyclist doesn’t make you special. This is the message of all these articles. Lies, I tell you. Now, far be it from me to dissuade people from cycling, but I think we may need different words for the varying circumstances that fall under the umbrella term “winter cycling.” Take Vancouver and Seattle, for example, where bicycle enthusiasts will talk about “winter” cycling. I’ll grant you that a bone-chilling, relentless, drenching rain is its own special brand of miserable to bi...