Skip to main content

What a difference a day makes

Well, not a day, actually; a month-but can't you hear someone crooning the song?

Kumba made a very different impression on me this time around. When we first came through in August on our way home from Bamenda, Cameroon was still new to me; the look of towns, buildings, and roads-and the way of life in general-were things I was trying to wrap my brain around. I didn't know what I expected Kumba to look like, but it wasn't what I expected. For one, the city (like all others in Cameroon) looked so spread out-it didn't fit my idea of an urban settlement. The buildings looked so small, colourless, and dusty. Overall, the experience was one of observation overload.

Not so anymore! Driving into Kumba after a month in the village, things are not only familiar, but capable of inspiring appreciation. I was impressed by the size of the buildings (2 stories some of them!), their permanence (built with concrete or sturdy, painted wood), their colour (everything is painted, even if most houses are the same shade of yellow), and the symmetry of the town (straight roads lead off of other straight roads, all lined with buildings fairly regularly spaced). Some houses even had tile or brickwork facades, and some had front porches with fancy concrete railings. Paved streets also highly impressed me. Even the side roads, sprinkled with just enough sand or fine gravel to keep them from turning to soup, are luxurious-how wonderful to walk at a normal pace without slipping in the mud and picking your way around ruts and mudholes!

And it's a city! Granted, not a very big city; I believe it's only some 50,000-despite highly optimist reports of up to 400,000 people (actually reflects the population of the entire district)-but markedly not a village. For a farm girl, I should be ashamed of myself for how citified I've become in the past few years that I was so happy to be in a city again, however small.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Stand up for Canadian Health Care (such as it is)

Canadian health care is far from perfect — it has never achieved all Tommy Douglas dreamed for it: from tip to toe (teeth are still missing, as are a lot of drugs) — but unleashing unfettered two-tier is the opposite of fixing it.  So I joined with the Canadian Medical Association in pleading for the Canadian government to grow a spine and stop unhinged Smith's attempt to violate our own rules within her province.  As someone on Bluesky observed, if Stephen Harper tried to do this, we'd be at the gate with pitchforks. Where is the outrage. Daddy Warbucks Carney’s latest just-barely satisfactory performance in trade negotiations should not blind us to his failure to prevent this from happening.  The letter to the health minister, CC my MP and the shadow ministers: The Canadian Medical Association says the Canadian government must stand up for Albertans and all Canadians to ensure Alberta's new legislation doesn’t create a new normal of health care haves and have-no...