Skip to main content

Avocados

Avocados, where have you been all my life? Or maybe the question is, where have I been? I've always been ambivalent about avocados but now I realize that's because I never really tried them.

The week (with me as master of the house) started with two avocados on the vegetable shelf and when kids came by selling some, I thought, “sure, why not? They're cute kids, and bought two more.

Now, I have had an avocado salad here, using the fruit as a cup, filled with tomatoes and onions, which is lovely, but I didn’t want to make that.

I’ve eaten avocado like butter on bread with a dash of salt and a slice of cheese or tomato, but I didn't want to do that either.

One of the avocados was starting to look pretty nasty and threatening to spoil, so, running out of options, I made guacamole.

I don’t think I’ve ever really tried guacamole before. It is the only explanation I can come up with for why I didn’t know the stuff is fabulous.

First of all, it was fun to make. I never knew avocado skin came off like a peel. It was all crusty and just pulled off nicely – I didn’t like to slice it off with a knife like I was expecting.

Then, I squeezed a lemon for some juice for the sauce, and chopped up a small tomato and small onion. Either these onions are really potent or it has been way too long since I’ve been in the kitchen for anything either than making bread, because I was crying over that bulb like I’d lost my best friend – something I haven’t done in a long time.

The final product of my exertions was great and left me asking Why have I never done this before!? This is fabulous.

Too bad I don’t have anything to eat it on.

Comments

Rebs said…
I'm so glad you've finally experienced the true joys of avocado! I could eat that stuff like candy - a little salt and it's perfect!

of course, north american avocados will never live up, so eat your fill while you're there!!

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Flights

I've got tickets! In faith that all the money will come together, my tickets have been purchased. So now I have to go! There was a significantly cheaper flight option with Air Maroc that involved an overnight in Paris and in Casablanca, but I opted for the same Air France flight from Paris to Douala that Dan and Lisa will be on. Frankly, I'm somewhat relieved the latter option was available. Obviously, I must have some sense of adventure to be willing to spend 10 months in Cameroon--and I do--but it's not quite up to the former challenge just yet. I'll likely be quite wound up as it is--the last thing I'll need in my state of excitement and fretful anticipation is to spend three days alone trying to reach my destination, getting no sleep, dealing with unfamiliar languages, and arriving alone to spend a half-day cartrip down roads in less than perfect condition with a local stranger. Now I'm not saying I'm unwilling to be challenged or that any one of these ...