Skip to main content

Fufu

No, not the rabbit walking through the forest. Food. There are different types of fufu, depending on what it's made from. (As far as I know, this staple carbohydrate comes in cocoyam and corn varieties.) I've had the very similar Congo-style luku-made with cassava, I believe-in Canada, and now I've had South West Province Cameroon-style fufu in the village.

Made from a particular type of cocoyam, the purplish-skinned tuber is peeled and boiled like a potato then placed in a large mortar where it is pounded to a greyish-white gooey paste. Johannes, the Scotts' cook, made it today and invited us all to participate in the pounding. Kenneth gleefully mashed up the cocoyams, then I got a turn at pounding the now very sticky mush. It looks like mashed potatoes, but gives a great deal more resistance. With the mortar on the floor, I sat on a chair, using my feet to keep it steady while battering the cocoyams into submission.

I've always been one to be turned off by texture, regardless of whether the taste was otherwise appealing or not, but forewarned is forearmed, so as with my previous experience with luku, I found it really wasn't bad at all once I was prepared to eat sticky, gooey lumps. The small mountain heaped on the serving dish bore a remarkable resemblance to cooked brains, in my humble opinion. Not something I'll be requesting for lunch but not something I'll dread either.

By itself, of course, it would be highly unpleasant, but as we scooped it up with our hands we dipped it into a delectable peanut sauce, which covers a multitude of sins. I believe njama-njama is another option with fufu - it's cooked dark green leaves, vaguely reminiscent of spinach.

Comments

lasselanta said…
What kind of sauce do you eat with luku?

"Water fufu" sounds similar; it's made with cassava too. Forewarned is forearmed: If you eat it with okra sauce then you don't have to chew it...
Rebs said…
luku is eaten with similar sauces - a spinach-like one that I suspect is the exact same thing, called ndundu (?) or saka-saka. or with a meat sauce. anything with lots of palm oil.
karla, are you experiencing a lot of palm oil? there's really nothing like it - it's possibly the heaviest oil on the face of the planet.

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

The anti-bike blog

OR I do not think [that word] means what you think it means It has become a weekly, almost daily occurrence. A how-to article or blog post will come across my path – usually in my facebook feed – touting the wonders of winter cycling. Not one to learn a lesson quickly, I keep clicking on them. Inevitably, I navigate away in frustration. It’s fun! It’s easy! Anyone can do it! You don’t need special gear; you can even look chic while you’re doing it. Oh, and get off your high horse – being a winter cyclist doesn’t make you special. This is the message of all these articles. Lies, I tell you. Now, far be it from me to dissuade people from cycling, but I think we may need different words for the varying circumstances that fall under the umbrella term “winter cycling.” Take Vancouver and Seattle, for example, where bicycle enthusiasts will talk about “winter” cycling. I’ll grant you that a bone-chilling, relentless, drenching rain is its own special brand of miserable to bi...